Saturday, August 31, 2019

With thanks to my teachers

"Raks baladi on a terrace in Egypt" painted by Fabio Fabbi (Italian Orientalist painter and illustrator, 1861–1946)
This image reminds me of the very first time I encountered the dancer who would become my first teacher along the amazing carpet ride the ancient arts of dance and drumming provide! Thank you Susheelah**, who led me to Jamila Salimpour** and Aida Al Adawi and Mimi Janislawski*,  Serena Williams, Ibrahim Farrah, and Morocco Carolina Varga Dinicu and Tasha Banat and Artemis Mourat and Dalia Carella and Aszmara Sherry and Omar Ron and Mary Ellen Donald and Layne Redmond and Glen Velez World of Drums and Hossam Ramzy and Nourhan Sharif B and Grant Smith and on and on and on and on.... 

YESssss these ancient art provide for me ~ and, as I have witnessed, for those above-named teachers whom I love & respect ~ an expression of the rhythm and music (in all its alluring, intoxicating and hypnotic powers) flowing through one's physical being while allowing millennia of divine feminine celebratory rhythm & movements to spill into our bhava and extend beyond into rasa🙏🌹💞


Namasté to all my teachers and their teachers 💖


  *See more about Susheelah and Jamila Salimpour: December 9, 2017 post
    and here's a lovely documentary about Jamila
**See more about Mimi: October 3, 2015 post


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment and by all means please feel free to share this blog URL with friends. BTW, you might also be very interested to visit a website dedicated to the realization of a vision following this trip to EGYPT... Go to http://www.hathorsystrum.com