Friday, June 21, 2019

Summer Solstic 2019

Tuscan Travels …
On this first day of Summer 2019 I am reminded of summer travels back in 2011 where the view from my room was a dream come true… Long had I fantasized and romanticized visiting a Tuscan villa would do me good. I imagined the scenery would inspire me, the food would nourish me and the wine delight me … and this all proved true! In August 2011 I participated in Alessandra Belloni’s Rhythm is the Cure retreat focused on Southern Italian tambourine technique and dances deeply steeped in Mediterranean healing ritual. Over the course of seven days tucked away at La Chiara di Prumiano, an agri-turismo villa in Northern Italy ~ Barberino Val d'Elsa, about an hour’s drive south of Florence ~ we participated in rhythms and movements from ancient rituals. Ancient healing rituals “designed” to open energy points such as the Heart Chakra by holding the frame drum close to the heart while executing movements designed to release blockages of emotional and sensual energies through the Pizzica dance of liberation. The Pizzica dance of liberation is purported to expel feelings of depression and repression, or sadness from unrequited love, etc. The wild 6/8 rhythm of the Pizzica, played on medium size tambourines and accompanied by dance and song, was historically performed as an exorcism ritual that produced a trance-like state beneficial for healing many mental-health disorders and imbalances (not unlike the Zār of North Africa).

As part of a re-enactment of this healing ritual, Alessandra led us in a circle dance wherein we were encouraged to create "spider-like" movements on the ground, releasing stress and blockages of sexual energy, as well as opening the heart and throat chakras. We also learned chants used to invoke the healing power of the sun and moon. BTW, I invite you to visit my Soundcloud page where I've archived a few of the radio shows I've hosted on WDIY, particularly the one celebrating Women's History Month March 29, 2014, where I spotlight music by Alessandra as well as Layne Redmond and Ubaka Hill among others! Alessandra presented unique dance movements which trace their roots from Southern Italy back to ancient Greece, with connections to Iran, Egypt and Andalusia, as well as to the traditions of the Gypsies who traveled from Rajasthan through North Africa, Morocco and Spain to Sicily and Calabria. Representing an unbroken chain of inspiration from pre-Christian times to the present these dance movements embody and culminate the different dance traditions which we know today as Flamenco, Belly Dance and Tribal Dance. The majority of the participants, myself included felt enraptured by these exciting and healing dances while also learning the techniques and history of this powerful tambourine style, originally practiced mainly by women, dating back to the rites of the Mother Earth Goddess Cybele, now worshiped as the Black Madonna.
Although I did not consider myself to be depressed, I was aware of lingering traces of hurt and sadness following the end of a romance earlier that year. I had hoped the intentions of the workshop would be a good distraction and that learning new hand drumming techniques and healing dance rituals would launch me forward and on to new beginnings. Drumming and dance have always been my go-to when I need to navigate rough waters, guiding me around the boulders in my journey with a renewed sense of self and heightened appreciation of the gift of life.
My friends were all thoroughly convinced I was going to meet someone with whom a new romance would ignite. With a sense of adventure and my friends' enthusiasm, I was prompted to pack my most form flattering tops and pants and my favorite flowing dress so that as I walked down the street the fabric would “move” & compliment my hips swaying in my best Sophia Loren goddess walk! The little hotel where I booked my room in Florence for a three-day stay prior to the retreat proved to be precisely as advertised, except that the patio was under construction much to my disappointment ~ nonetheless, it was a clean, comfortable and friendly environment and I was comfortable in my charming room @ Hotel Il Bargellino:

After refreshing myself from the long flight, I proceeded to begin my explorations of Florence (aka Firenze) navigating my way with a street map in hand. I found it quite easy actually especially since the Duomo and River Arno were great landmarks!


The Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore (English: Basilica of Saint Mary of the Flower) is the cathedral church of FlorenceItaly. The Duomo, as it is ordinarily called, was begun in 1296 in the Gothic style to the design of Arnolfo di Cambio and completed structurally in 1436 with the dome engineered by Filippo Brunelleschi. The exterior of the basilica is faced with polychrome marble panels in various shades of green and pink bordered by white and has an elaborate 19th century Gothic Revival façade by Emilio De Fabris.
The cathedral complex, located in Piazza del Duomo, includes the Baptistery and Giotto's Campanile. The three buildings are part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site covering the historic centre of Florenceand are a major attraction to tourists visiting the region of Tuscany. The basilica is one of Italy's largest churches, and until development of new structural materials in the modern era, the dome was the largest in the world. It remains the largest brick dome ever constructed.
Yours truly with Ponte Vecchio in the background. The Ponte Vecchio ("Old Bridge") is a medieval stone closed-spandrel segmental arch bridge over the Arno River, in Florence, Italy, noted for still having shops built along it, as was once common.
After a few days meandering through Florence, I realized my dream of visiting a Tuscan villa ~ Chiara di Prumiano in the magic hills of Tuscany, Italy. As I mentioned above, despite nearly six months having elapsed since the end of a romance with a man whom I considered one of my life's soulmates, I periodically found myself experiencing traces of hurt/sadness/grief in my heart. Suffice to say, I attended the event thinking this was "just what the doctor ordered" to provide sufficient distraction and to help me over the hurdle of starting all over again.  BTW, the first time something similar transpired ~ i.e., following the dissolution of my thirty-year marriage ~ I convinced myself the ONLY thing to do was to "pick myself up, dust myself off and start all over again!" You see, curiously, one morning not long after my marriage disintegrated, I found myself humming a melody, a familiar yet not quite recognizable melody that was guiding me, uplifting me. Finally, a few of the lyrics sprang to mind and then I remembered the song as sung by Ginger Rogers with Fred Astaire in the movie Sing Time.

ANYWAY, it is with great pleasure I tell you Alessandra's retreat did indeed live up to its name and for this I thank God/Goddess/Goodness! I came away from the retreat with whatever remaining traces of hurt in my heart dissolved…. And, I admit, I doubted that was possible. O me of little faith….

All the years I’d been drumming and dancing and professing the healing qualities of these arts, little, it seemed, did I trust they would/could heal the big hurt in my heart. I foolishly thought I would have to accept the presence of sadness as a permanent part of my being ~ a chronic pain if you will that one learns to live with and ultimately manage. I couldn’t imagine it would in fact dissolve! I cannot pinpoint the precise moment but with each day’s immersion in the distractions ~ meandering through Florence and then participating in the drumming and dance rituals Alessandra was teaching and a visit to the chapel of the Black Madonna in the Cathedral of Sienna, the birthplace of St. Catherine*, I was indeed “cured”.
*Visiting the chapel of the Black Madonna in the Cathedral of Sienna I was reminded of a poem by St. Catherine to which I was led to read years earlier in the midst of the first few days into the dissolution of my decades-long marriage:
"… I cannot lose anything in this place of abundance. I found If something my heart cherishes is taken away, I just say, “Lord, what Happened?” And a hundred more Appear."
- St. Catherine of Siena (1347-1380)

Yes! The Mother Goddess, the Feminine Divine answered my prayers washing away my sorrow and renewing my strength to move forward transforming my sadness into courage and confidence to move forward feeling whole and ready for NEW beginnings ~ a new love relationship with myself ~ a woman totally good and worthy of great love with an adoring mate. Yes! Open to the possibilities I welcomed a profound opening of the heart and an ever-widening field of love … for myself.
The heart’s journey to the heart - Jalāl ad-Dīn Rūmī (1207 – 1273)
At the conclusion of Alessandra's retreat we were treated to a magical ceremony of "blindly" selecting a tarot card that would ultimately result in pairing us with a mythical puppet and I could not have been more delighted with my bright SUN!
My transatlantic journey back to the U.S. I am happy to say was very good ~ my connections were on time and my flights were sa-mmmmooth!

I returned renewed, restored and ready to start anew... Allelulia! Back to the dance!

Postscript Summer Solstice June 2019: Once again facing a few big challenges, changes and shifting sands swirling around me, I intend to attend a drumming retreat next month with Maestro Glen Velez (who reminds us in this interview: ""A very real phenomenon happens when frame drummers of all levels, both beginner and advanced, gather together. An osmosis , a current of energy that enlivens, transmitting knowledge and enthusiasm between individuals." - GV"
Rhythm IS the cure!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment and by all means please feel free to share this blog URL with friends. BTW, you might also be very interested to visit a website dedicated to the realization of a vision following this trip to EGYPT... Go to http://www.hathorsystrum.com